Sculptured Mural Graces Princeton Hills Entrance
The entrance to Princeton Hills is graced by a 10-foot by 20-foot bas-relief brick mural that depicts three scenes from Brentwood’s past. The wall is located at the Murray Lane entrance to the subdivision between Granny White Pike and Franklin Road. The wall was created to honor the state of Tennessee’s bicentennial celebration in 1996.
The mural was created by Emmy-winning art director Dean Tschetter and his brother, brick sculptor, Jay Tschetter. The brothers spent more than 300 hours researching, sculpting and installing the wall to create a lasting memorial to the historical significance that Brentwood has played in the area and just in time to honor Tennessee’s bicentennial.
The three-panel wall was unveiled on June 27, 1996 to honor events in the rich historical past of Brentwood. The first panel depicts Creek Indians hunting buffalo within the rich landscape of the valley. The center panel shows a Civil War scene from the Battle of Nashville when, on December 16, 1864, Confederate Colonel Edmund Rucker and Union Colonel George Spaulding dueled with sabers along Granny White Pike. The third panel depicts a morning procession on the foxhunting grounds at Maple Grove, located near Concord Road. These fox hunters were part of the tradition of the Hillsboro Hounds Fox Hunt, which was held there regularly in the 1930’s and 1940’s. The three scenes blend nicely to create a stately wall that welcomes residents and visitors to the Princeton Hills neighborhood.